Programming Lopez Island


This summer's vacation on Lopez Island in the Strait of Juan de Fuca inspired me to program in TurtleArt. I was so captivated by the interesting vegetation that my programs sought to capture some of the beauty I witnessed.

Before I left I programmed the Kelp Forest, pictured above. I turned a series of images into an animated .gif. Each of these projects is meant to look different each time it runs.


Cat's Ear is an invasive plant that looks like a dandelion. It is everywhere on Lopez Island. These procedures create different versions of the plant with the flowers in different stages of bloom.


This procedure tries to replicate some of the wonder and beauty of cedar bark. This tree, tall, straight, and majestic on the island, cannot adequately be captured but I took a small snapshot with my TurtleArt.


Himalayan blackberries are also an invasive plant. They taste like candy around the time I visited his year. Tricky to harvest because of the thorns, the rewards (and tales around harvesting) are well worth any minor pain.

If you are curious how I programmed these procedures you can download the original size file from my Flickr TurtleArt album, open the .png file in TurtleArt, and examine the blocks.

Comments